Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Stop and Smell the Roses...

Stop and smell the roses... I am sure everyone of you out there reading this has heard that expression before. It can have a variety of meanings. I think our society is far too bent on working so hard that life passes many of us by. We need to stop and smell the roses. Stop and take a minute to look at the world around you. What cool things are happening right under your nose that you don't know about? You may never know unless you stop and take a whiff... I feel like my life has been like that somewhat. I am one that is not absolutely bent on scheduling every little minute of every day, but sometimes I feel like life is passing me by and that I need more adventure in my life. Today I went to the Indiana State Fair for the first time ever. I have lived in Indiana for nearly 11 years and I had not yet been down there. It was an epic experience. I got to see tons of sweet animals and even had an elephant ear. It was amazing. Probably one of the most fun days of the summer that I've had. This summer had been the toughest summers to date with my dog dying and my Dad losing his job but then getting another one (Praise God!). It had just seemed like one thing after another was just piling on. But today I stopped and smelled the roses. I think that next summer I want to take a few weeks and just drive all around the country, mostly to the west of the Mississippi River since I haven't really visited out there much. I just want to do something totally random and crazy like that! I have determined that it will take me 3-4 days to drive out to the beaches in California. Sometimes I feel like I don't have enough adventure in my life. So maybe stopping and smelling the roses means adding a little spice to your life, a little more adventure. It will look different for everyone, but I think it would do us all a lot of good to do it more often. As long as you're not allergic to the pollen...

1 comment: