Tuesday, June 29, 2010

One Step at a Time...

You know, there's that proverb that goes something like...
"You can't walk a mile unless you take the first step."
... or something like that. (Don't quote me on that, haha)
But you get the idea...

I am by no means wise enough to suggest new proverbs (I will leave that to the professionals), but I propose this addition: You must also peek at where you are walking to (or at least have someone watching for you). It is important to walk with a purpose, or you will get lost. Lost in a store, lost in life, etc... The whole picture is important.

Examples:
The walls around Jericho didn't collapse on the first day. The Israelites had to start on the first day and journey to the seventh day. And even on the seventh day they had to still march seven times around the city... (Joshua 6) They had the big picture of the city of Jericho falling, and had to begin on the first day marching... They also had God watching or determining the future for them...

Or it's like when a guy first meets a girl. You don't jump straight to putting your arm around her or holding her hand. You start with trying super hard to remember her name and maybe a few details from your first, probably surface level conversation. Perhaps a little later you might secure that "first date". You also then will seek out the opinion of your friends about this new "person of interest". (Not that I am some kind of professional at boyfriend/girlfriend relationships, never having been in one yet...)

I am only merely trying to suggest that it is important to think about where you have been, where you want to go, and where you are actually going. I also think it's important to think about how you will get to where you are going. As for me, I have God watching my path, so I only have to see a step or two forward at a time. Any more than that and I just might explode. (which would be the end of this blog by the way.)

The first step is just as important as the last step, and you can't get to the last step without the first step.

Just something to think about.

3 comments:

  1. YES! I love it. You betta sermonize, lol. And I've totally been lost in a store before so i completely get that analogy. It's kind of like when you're small a store is as big as life is to you when you're big, so you def need someone else watching out for you. This is good advice, and it made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so encouraging! i feel like i am learning this first hand right now.. but you put it so wonderfully into words! especially loved this part:
    "As for me, I have God watching my path, so I only have to see a step or two forward at a time. Any more than that and I just might explode."

    SO TRUE! also loved the part about not being able to get to the last step without the first step. we have to step out in faith!

    thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it, Paul! I've always been curious about that Jericho story. So many questions run through my mind when i read it. Did they feel silly marching around the wall? Did they all believe the wall would fall? Why 7 days? etc etc but I digress. I really like this post :)

    ReplyDelete